FINAL HARMONIOUS GENERAL ASSEMBLY
University of Debrecen, Hungary
(with in person and online participation)
30 March 2022: Workshop – Advances in Environmental Monitoring with UAS
31 March 2022: Working Group Meetings + Project Closing Gala Dinner
01 April 2022: Working Group Meetings + Final Management Committee Meeting
— Attendance at the Workshop is free but registration is required. Coffee breaks, refreshments and lunch are provided for each registered participants free of charge —
Detailed program of the Workshop
08:30 – 09:30 Registration
09:30-09:50: László Bertalan, Brigitta Tóth: Welcome from local organizers [pdf]
09:50-10:05: Salvatore Manfreda – The achievements HARMONIOUS COST Action [pdf]
10:05-10:25: Plenary talk: Francesco Nex – Towards real-time UAV mapping: example, challenges and opportunities
10:25-10:55: Plenary talk: James Dietrich – Drones for River Monitoring, a ten-year perspective [pdf]
10:55-11:20 Coffee Break
11:20-11:35: Eyal Ben-Dor – Summary of WG5: Harmonization of methods and results
11:30-11:50: Sorin Herban – Summary of WG1: UAS data processing [pdf]
11:50-12:05: Jana Müllerová – Summary of WG2: Vegetation status (part 1) [pdf]
12:05-12:20: Antonino Maltese – Summary of WG2: Vegetation status (part 2)
12:20-12:35: Yijian Zeng – Summary of WG3: Soil moisture content [pdf]
12:35-12:50: Dariia Strelnikova – Summary of WG4: River monitoring [pdf]
12:50-14:30: Lunch break
14:30-14:45: Gábor Papp – HungaroControl’s Air-Ground-Air communication concept in order to enable UAVs’ ecosystem [pdf]
14:45-15:00: Géza Király et al. – UAS and their application in forest monitoring [pdf]
15:00-15:15: Gábor Bakó et al. – HRAM: High Spatial Resolution Aerial Monitoring Network for Nature Conservation
15:15-15:30: Ferenc Kovács et al. – Application of UAV imagery in environmental research at the University of Szeged [pdf]
15:30-15:45: Anette Eltner et al. – Hydro-morphological mapping of river reaches using videos captured with UAS [pdf]
15:45-16:00: Ilyan Kotsev et al. – UAS-aided bedform and habitat mapping of Bolata Cove, Bulgarian Black Sea [pdf]
16:00-16:30: Coffee Break
16:30-16:50: Lance R. Brady – UAS for Research and Applied Science in the United States Geological Survey [pdf]
16:50-17:05: Kamal Jain et al. – Crop identification and classification from UAV images using conjugated dense convolutional neural network
17:05-17:20: Nicolas Francos et al. – Mapping Water Infiltration Rate Using Ground and UAV Hyperspectral Data: A Case Study of Alento, Italy [pdf]
17:20-17:35: Martin Jolley et al. – Considerations When Applying UAS-based Large-Scale PIV and PTV for Determining River Flow Velocity [pdf]
17:35-17:50: Adrian Gracia-Romero et al. – UAS plant phenotyping under abiotic stresses [pdf]
17:50-18:05: Shawn C. Kefauver et al. – High-resolution UAV Imaging for Forest Productivity Monitoring [pdf]
COVID Information for Hungary:
- For traveling and other restrictions due to Covid pandemic please regularly consult the page of the Hungarian government and the European Union
- Registration and Passenger Locator Form is not required at the moment (19/01/2022)
Wearing a face mask is mandatory everywhere indoor and on public transport (even at bus stops). At the Conference Center it is possible to hold the presentations without wearing your mask. From 07th March 2022 it is not mandatory to wear masks indoor or even on public transport.
COVID passes will be checked at the entrance of the Workshop venue From 07th March Hungary will scrap mask mandates from Monday, and phase out most coronavirus-related measures.
Travel to Debrecen by flight:
- Debrecen has an international airport with a direct flight connection to the following airports: Brussels (Charleroi), Eindhoven, Kiev (Zhuany), Kiev (Boriszpili), Larnaca, London (Luton), Moscow, Palma de Mallorca, Paris (Orly), Paris (Beauvais), Santorini, Tel-Aviv
- However, the flights and connections can be cancelled anytime according to the actual Covid situation, therefore, it is suggested to check frequently the actual list at wizzair.com
- There are direct buses from the Terminal, but we recommend taking a taxi. Taxi prices to Debrecen city center from the Airport cost around 3000-4000 HUF (9-12 Euros).
Travel to Debrecen through Budapest by flight:
- In case you are flying to Budapest first, then there are several direct train connections available to reach Debrecen. The journey lasts around ~2 hours.
- You can use public transport to reach the necessary train station at Budapest. There is a direct bus (200E) that runs from the Arrivals of Liszt Ferenc Airport to the ‘Ferihegy’ train station at every ~10 minutes daytime. The travel lasts only ~10 minutes. The route is available on Google Maps:
- In case you are interested in transfer buses from Budapest Airport to Debrecen directly, then it is a bit more expensive (~40-45 Euros in case of a single person). Details: https://www.civistranszfer.hu/en/prices
Travel to Debrecen through Budapest by train:
Most of the foreign trains arrive to Budapest-Nyugati and Budapest-Keleti stations. Debrecen has direct train connections from both stations.
Travel in Debrecen
Public transport: schedules and route planning are implemented into Google Maps. Debrecen has a well-established public transport system (bus, tram, trolleybus).
Taxi: several companies available, but we recommend:
Debrecen has a variety of rooms available in hotels, pensions, separate apartments ready to reservations through Booking.com or AirBnB. In case of language issues with owners, feel free to contact László Bertalan for help.
Currency and payments
- The official currency of Hungary is Hungarian Forint (HUF). According the recent exchange rates 1 EUR = ~360 HUF.
- Debrecen has several exchange desks, but you can also change money in banks. Most of them are in the city center. The closest bank to the conference venue is an OTP bank.
- The nearest exchange office is a little further away. It is important to note that in Debrecen you can already pay by credit card in most shops, but in smaller shops you may only be able to pay in cash, and on public transport you can only pay in cash.
- Maps of ATMs and Exhange desks
- The workshop will take place at ‘DAB székház’ which is the headquarters of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Academic Commission Debrecen.
- Address: Thomas Mann u. 49. Debrecen
- The venue can be easily reached by tramline 2 and bus lines 12 and 23.
- The main conference room has 150 seats available but due to the recent COVID regulations, maximum 90 person could attend in person. At the facility, dedicated Wi-Fi network will be available.
The overview of the most important places of the General Assembly (Also available as a Google Maps collection)
Working Group Meetings
- The WG meetings and the MC meeting will be held at Institute of Earth Sciences at the University of Debrecen, in the ‘Matematika és Földrajz Épület’ which is referred as ‘GeoMath building’.
- At the workshop (30 March) coffee breaks and lunch is provided free of charge for each participant who has registered through the official Google Form and signed the attendance sheet at the reception. At the WG meetings the lunch and coffee breaks are provided only for those HARMONIOUS members who are eligible for the reimbursement. Dinners are not provided during the event.
- The lunches will be held at the restaurant ‘Agrár Étterem’ which is in a 900 meters distance from the Workshop Venue and 1.4 km from the Working Group Meetings.
- The coffee breaks and refreshments will be served on site of the Workshop and the Working Group meetings.
Closing Gala Dinner of the Action
The closing gala dinner of the HARMONIOUS COST Action will be held on 31 March 2022 (Thursday evening). Details and expected prices to be announced soon. The participation is optional, and the prices are covered by the participants themselves.
Important contacts from the HARMONIOUS team:
Emergency, Police, Fire brigade: Call 112